Get Your Heartbeat on in Orlando while
at the 2017 SHSMD Connections Conference . . .
Are you attending the Society for Healthcare Strategy & Marketing Development Conference at the
Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando FL on September 24th – 27th?
Springboard Brand & Creative Strategy will be there.
If there’s a branding or marketing need that is keeping you up at night, we’d like to invite your for a cup of coffee to pick our brains and see how we think. Both Rob Rosenberg, President and Brand Strategy Director and Donna Pascente, Account Supervisor of Springboard Brand & Creative Strategy, will be attending the conference. Rob can be contacted at email@example.com and Donna at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing you at the conference.
Here at Springboard, we believe in making hearts beat with excitement, passion and hope. What better way to do it than exploring Orlando while you are attending the 2017 Society of Healthcare Strategy & Market Development Connections Conference at the Marriott World Center. Here are a few ideas to help you see the Orlando metro area, at its finest and not just the theme parks.
Looking For Fun Things to do in Orlando . . .
MAKE ORLANDO YOURS . . .
Get your heart beat going while experiencing the best things to do and see in Orlando. Here are some of our personal recommendations. Think of us as your personal tour guide.
UPCOMING EVENTS IN SEPTEMBER
9/20 – 28/17
Universal Orlando Resort’s Halloween Horror Nights
Universal Studios Florida™
The event is considered one of the world’s largest, most elaborate Halloween celebrations. Universal enlists a “scream team” of designers to research the human psyche and its deepest fears to create haunted houses and “scare zones” of terrifying magnitudes for guests. Admission: Prices vary. http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/
9/20 – 27/17
ORLANDO’S MAGICAL DINING MONTH
Select Orlando Restaurants
Satisfy cravings for haute cuisine at an even hotter price during Visit Orlando’s Magical Dining Month, a culinary celebration sure to please diner’s palates and wallets. For a limited time, more than 100 of Central Florida’s top restaurants will feature three-course, prix fixe dinner menus for just $35, with $1 from each meal donated to a local charity. http://www.visitorlando.com/magicaldining/
9/22, 24, 26/17
MICKEY’S NOT-SO-SCARY HALLOWEEN PARTY
Magic Kingdom® Park
Each fall, guests are invited to dress in costumes and trick-or-treat throughout the Magic Kingdom after regular park hours. The boo-free bash includes a parade and bewitching fireworks. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party/
HAUNTED HISTORIC 5k RACE
Pioneer Village at Shingle Creek
The Haunted Historic 5k is a fun run open to the public! Join the race for food, fun, and activities. A portion of the registration fees will be donated to Osceola Arts and the Osceola County Historical Society. http://osceolahistory.org/event/haunted-historic-5k/
- Dinner at a Fun Themed Restaurant – Both Downtown Disney and Universal City Walk are home to several great theme restaurants. By choosing one of these fun restaurants you can still feel like you are part of the excitement without visiting a theme park. Some of the fun choices in Downtown Disney include Planet Hollywood, House of Blues, Rainforest Cafe, and Raglan Road Irish Pub.
- Dine locally in Winter Park – On your next outing to Orlando, skip the common chains overpopulating in the area in favor of a unique local treat at one of Winter Park’s numerous fantastic dining gems. Winter Park restaurants offer a refreshing change from the abundance of chains in the area. The downtown area is home to an impressive array of restaurants offering every type of cuisine imaginable (check out Prato, Ethos Vegan Kitchen, and Keke’s Breakfast Cafe). Those with food allergies will be happy to know that many restaurants offer specialty food allergy menus and/or are willing to customize dishes to meet your dietary preferences.
- Enjoy the Local Scene at a Coffee Shop – Both Orlando and Winter Park are home to a number of fantastic local coffeehouses. Skip the common coffee chains in favor of an eclectic local choice like Sleeping Moon Cafe in Winter Park. This charming local gem features great service, great artwork, live events, and a cozy setting. You can really relax and enjoy the quiet for a while in a place like this!
- Universal City Walk – Universal City Walk is the premier entertainment destination in Orlando. It’s a great place to visit whether or not you spend the day at Universal Studios. Here you can have hours of fun without stepping foot into the park. Theme restaurants include Hard Rock Cafe, Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville, Bubba Gump Shrimp Company, and more. Aside from dining, entertainment options include seeing Blue Man Group, watching a movie in the luxury IMAX theater, mini-golf, and a handful of bars and nightclubs including City Walk’s Rising Star, a unique karaoke bar where you sing alongside a live band.
- Downtown Disney – Downtown Disney is a dining, shopping, and entertainment destination similar to Universal City Walk, only with the added bonus of beautiful water views. Several popular theme restaurants (Rainforest Cafe, Planet Hollywood, & House of Blues) can be found here. In addition, a luxury bowling alley, souvenir shops, a luxury movie theater, and Cirque du Soleil shows can be added to your itinerary. Characters in Flight, a hot air balloon ride which travel 400 feet above Downtown Disney, is another unique activity to consider.
- Play at Dave & Buster’s – Dave & Buster’s is a large entertainment facility complete with traditional arcade games, ticket redemption games, a sports bar, and a full-service restaurant. Dave and Busters is a great alternative to the theme parks; here you can have hours of fun without spending nearly as much as you would at a day at the parks (sign up for the D&B email club to receive special coupons). The Orlando location tends to be crowded at all times, so be prepared to pay for valet parking or spend all night searching for a spot.
- Splitsville Luxury Lanes – Splitsville is a luxury bowling alley located in downtown Disney. It’s a great activity to enjoy either before or after your meal at one of the fun themed restaurants found in the area. Unique decor, an upscale food menu, and live entertainment make Splitsville the place to be. Weekend bowling specials are $20 per person for 1 hour of bowling. In addition, a great Early Bird special consisting of unlimited bowling from open-12:30pm for only $12 per adult is available for those visiting during the early afternoon hours.
- Pirate’s Cove Mini-golf – Orlando’s premier mini golf course is about the best you will ever find. Two scenic 18-hole courses through a shady, pirate themed adventure provides the perfect temporary escape from the afternoon heat.
The entertaining courses feature a pirate ship, waterfalls, and plenty of tropical landscaping. Despite being located on busy International Drive, the course is surprisingly quiet. Rates are affordable too (only $12.50 per adult and $11.50 per child). Be sure to check your hotel lobby for a $1 off coupon!
- The Orlando Eye – The 400 foot tall Ferris Wheel, the largest on the East Coast, is set to open on May 4th. A ride in one of the enclosed gondolas will provide tremendous views of the Orlando skyline, the theme parks, and the natural Florida landscapes.
- Largest Collection of Tiffany Glass at the Charles Homer Morse Museum – This Winter Park museum happens to contain the largest collection of works by Louis Tiffany, a late 19th century designer famous for his impressive collection of lamps, pottery, paintings, and jewelry. Every piece is absolutely gorgeous; the small admission price enables everyone to see this impressive collection. Take a little break from the heat to visit this local gem; you will not be disappointed! Student admission is only $1 and Friday nights are free (for everyone) from November-April.
WALKING and SCENIC TOURS
- Tibet-Butler Nature Preserve – Orlando’s small 440 acre nature preserve allows visitors to take a glimpse into the natural scenery of Florida. Take this opportunity to escape the crowds and intense heat of the afternoon sun for a relaxing and shady walk through this quiet preserve. Peaceful views of Lake Tibet-Butler along with beautiful flatwoods and wetlands provide the perfect setting for a scenic stroll.
- Disney Wilderness Preserve – Escape the crowds for a hiking, kayaking, or biking adventure at these 11,000 acres of nature oasis in Kissimmee.
- Airboat rides – Take a relaxing tour of natural Florida swamps while exploring the different types of wildlife found in Central Florida. Boggy Creek Airport rides, located in Kissimmee, is your closest choice. Instead of paying to see gators at a theme park, take this great opportunity to see them in their natural habitat!
- Scenic Boat Tour in Winter Park – Winter Park, a quaint town located just 20 minutes from Orlando, is one of the most scenic small towns in America. One of the top attractions in town is the Scenic Boat Tour, a daily 1 hour narrated tour through the Winter Park Chain of Lakes. This leisurely ride lets you feast your eyes on some spectacular local scenery, including views of extravagant waterfront mansions, lush greenery, and plenty of wildlife.
- Paddle Boat Rental at Lake Eola Park – Lake Eola park in downtown Orlando is a great escape from the hectic theme park crowds. A refreshing ½-mile stroll around the landscaped grounds is sure to rejuvenate both your body and mind. Plenty of plant life and birds make this walk a pleasant nature experience. Great views of the Orlando skyline too! A leisurely ride in a paddle boat is a fun way to take in the beautiful views around you.
- Bike Ride Along the Lake Baldwin Trail – Baldwin Park is a newer, upscale area just a few miles from downtown Orlando. Here you will find beautiful homes and landscaping, lots of stores and dining, and a handful of nice parks. Lake Baldwin park features a 2-1/2 mile trail around the lake, perfect for bike riding or walking in the early morning hours before it gets too hot.